2290 Form 2022 Printable, Fillable PDF – Process Delays for Paper 2290 Form, as well as Expedite Requests for Copies of Schedule 1, are among the new features.
In response to the epidemic, we faced delays in processing paper federal excise tax forms, such as 2290 Form and faxed Schedule 1 expedite requests, among other things. Despite the fact that the backlog of returns has been decreased, we are still trying to settle the remaining inventory as swiftly as possible. Additional information may be found in the Schedule 1 Copies for Filed 2290 Form section below. However, we advise taxpayers to explore using electronic forms to complete the 720, 2290, and 8849 in the future. In the long run, this will save time and provide more convenience and speed for taxpayers.
You may now pay the heavy highway vehicle use tax using a credit card or a debit card if you have one. See the material under “Are you ready to file?” for further details. See “How to Do It” below.
Is the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax something I need to pay? It is a brief, interactive conversation that will assist you in determining whether you are obligated to pay highway use tax on a highway motor vehicle that you use on public roads.
Reminders Of Importance
- By the last day of the month after the month in which the taxable vehicle was first used on a public highway, you must file 2290 Form for any taxable vehicle that was first used on a public highway during or after July 2021. For further information, see When Should 2290 Form Be Filed?
- The first and second pages of 2290 Form, as well as both pages of Schedule 1, are required to be completed by everyone. The “Consent to Disclosure of Tax Information” and “Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher” pages are the only ones that need to be completed when the situation calls for it.
- If you want to submit 2290 Form, you must first get an established employer identification number (EIN). If you do not already have an EIN, you should apply online right away; it will take about four weeks for us to enter your new EIN into our systems.
- For in-person IRS assistance, you must book an appointment with an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center by contacting 844-545-5640 or visiting their website. For further information, see How to Contact Your Local IRS Office.
Heavily Laden Highway Vehicles Are Subject To A Tax Known As The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax (HHVUT)
The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (2290 Form), which must be filed by anyone who has registered or is required to register a heavy highway motor vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more in their name at the time of first use on public highways during the reporting period, must be filed with the Department of Revenue.
Deadlines For Filing
From July 1 to June 30, those who complete 2290 Form are eligible to get a tax deduction. During the reporting period, the filing date for 2290 Form is determined by the month in which you first use the taxable vehicle on public roadways during that period.
- 2290 Form should be filed between July 1 and August 31 for vehicles that are first used on a public roadway in July.
- The tax for the current filing season will be prorated for cars that are used for the first time on a public roadway after July 1 of the year in question. 2290 Form must be filed by the last day of the month following the month in which the vehicle was first operated on a public roadway. 2290 Form may be found here. For further information, see When Should 2290 Form Be Filed?
Registration Of Motor Vehicles
The filing deadline is not related to the day on which the vehicle is registered. The taxpayer must complete 2290 Form by the last day of the month following the month in which the taxpayer operated the vehicle on a public roadway for the first time during the taxable period, regardless of when the vehicle’s registration renewal date is scheduled.
Are You Prepared To File? Here’s How To Do It
- Compile all of your information
- A unique identifier for the employer It is not possible to utilize your Social Security number. If you do not already have an EIN, please apply as soon as possible; it will take about four weeks for us to enter your new EIN into our systems.
- Fill out your 2290 Form with the same name that was allocated to you when you received your EIN. The name control on 2290 Form must match the name control on your EIN.
- Each car has a unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Gross vehicle weight that is subject to taxation. Use the Tax Computation table on page two of 2290 Form to figure out how much tax you owe depending on the taxable gross weight of each vehicle in your fleet.
- E-file. It is required if you are reporting 25 or more cars on 2290 Form, and it is advised for everyone to do so in order to expedite processing; you may obtain a watermarked Schedule 1 within minutes of submitting the form. Make sure the watermark on your Schedule 1 is readable before submitting it to your state’s department of motor vehicles to prevent any complications. It is possible that you may need to reprint with new ink or on a different printer in order to get a readable watermark.
- 2290 Form must be completed and sent. The right postal address may be found in the 2290 Form Instructions. After we receive your 2290 Form, you can expect to get your stamped Schedule 1 within six weeks.
- You must include your 2290 Form with your payment of the tax in full.
- It is possible to pay your taxes using a credit or debit card through the internet, phone, or mobile device regardless of whether you e-file or mail your return.
- As part of the e-filing procedure, you may allow a direct debit to be used for money withdrawal.
- It must be registered as soon as possible; new accounts can be expected to take 5-7 business days to process.
- Form 2290-V, Payment Voucher, may be used to accept a check or money order. Send a letter to:
- The Internal Revenue Service (sometimes known as the I.R.S.)
- 932500 is the postal code.
- In Louisville, Kentucky, call 40293-2500.
Do you have to file and pay heavy highway vehicle use tax for tax periods that have passed?
If you need to submit 2290 Form and pay Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax for earlier tax periods for whatever reason, go to the 2290 e-file Providers page on IRS.gov to choose a service provider. If you prefer to file on paper, go to IRS.gov and select All Form 2290 Revisions before printing and completing one or more Form(s) 2290 based on the tax period(s) for which you need to file.
Copies Of Forms 2290 That Have Been Filed Are Listed On Schedule 1
If you want to get a copy of the most recent Schedule 1, make sure you have previously completed 2290 Form and paid the tax in full (if any tax was due). You may also send a fax to 855-386-5124 with your request. You must include a copy of the previously filed 2290 Form and Schedule 1 with your submission. Please provide a signed cover page with the words “Expedite Schedule 1 Request” written on it. Include your name, phone number, fax number, the date on which the 2290 Form was submitted, and the number of pages that are being faxed in the message. Your request must be signed by a corporate representative who has the authority to bind the organization. To make a formal request, you may write to the Internal Revenue Service at Cincinnati, OH 45999-0031, Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service.
Changes In The Status Of The Vehicle
- If you anticipate operating your vehicle for 5,000 or fewer miles (7,500 for agricultural vehicles) during the reporting period, you may request a suspension of your license. If the suspended vehicle exceeds the permitted mileage usage limit during the reporting period, the tax becomes due and owing on the vehicle.
- Claim a tax credit for a car that has been destroyed, stolen, or sold, or for a vehicle that has been driven fewer than 5,000 miles (7,500 for agricultural vehicles). It is possible that you may have to wait until the tax period has expired before filing your claim.
- If you submit your 2290 Form electronically, you may only make minor changes to the weight and mileage of the vehicles that were initially specified on the form. In order to record any additional modifications, you must use a paper form.
- If you need to modify the VIN on your vehicle as stated on 2290 Form, for whatever reason, please provide a written statement explaining why you need to do so.
More information on the aforementioned and other instances may be found in the 2290 Form Instructions.
Participation In A State Vehicle Replacement Program May Result In A Credit Or Refund
If you are qualified for and participate in a state vehicle replacement incentive program, you may be entitled to a credit or refund of heavy highway vehicle use tax. To apply for a credit for the current year, complete line 5 of 2290 Form, following the instructions to include all of the necessary information, and then submit your tax return to the IRS. To ask for a refund, fill out Form 8849 with Schedule 6 (Form 8849), being sure to follow the instructions for each form. You may get assistance by calling the 2290 Form Call Site at the phone numbers and hours shown below.
Do You Have Any Questions?
Perhaps one of our frequently asked questions for truckers who e-file (also available in Spanish) or one of our often asked questions for Indian Tribal Governments Regarding Highway Use Tax can address your query. If not, please contact us.
Review the brief interactive interview, “Do I Have to Pay the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax?”, to discover whether you are obligated to pay the highway use tax on a highway motor vehicle that you own or operate.
Do you need further assistance? Call the 2290 Form Call Site between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
From the United States, dial 866-699-4096. (toll-free)
The number to call from Canada or Mexico is 859-320-3581. (not toll-free).