8822 Form 2022 Printable, Fillable PDF -After relocating to a new residence, you may want to inform the Internal Revenue Service of your new location by submitting 8822 Form to the IRS. Tax notifications, refunds paid with a physical check, and other letters from the Internal Revenue Service about your personal, gift, and estate taxes are possible. If you fail to notify the IRS of your relocation, the agency will send any mail to your last known address, which is the address stated on your most recent tax return.
Updating Your Mailing Address on Form 8822
If you want to alter your mailing address (the location where you get your mail), fill out 8822 Form. Your postal address might be different from the address of your permanent residence.
If you are self-employed and your business’s postal address changes, you must inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) using Form 8822-B.
Filling out Form 8822
Only the most basic information is required on 8822 Form 2022, which includes:
- The sort of tax return you submit, and so on
- Your previous postal address and telephone number
- Your new postal address, if you have one.
It is possible to update your spouse’s address on the same form if you are married and files joint returns with your spouse.
Including Unconventional Mailing Addresses
Using a post office box or a foreign address, as well as having any tax-related communication routed to a third party, are all options that must be approved by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Form 8822 allows you to use a post office box as the mailing address only if the United States Postal Service does not carry mail to the street address shown on your home’s utility bill.
- If you relocate overseas, the Internal Revenue Service recommends that you provide your new address in the manner that is customary in that nation.
- “c/o” is an abbreviation for “in care of,” and it may be used before the name and postal address of a third party, such as your tax attorney if you want all of your tax-related communication addressed to that individual.
Form 8822 Substitutes are Available
If you are not obliged to submit a return, there may be no need for you to file using Form 8822. However, if you are used to filing tax returns and anticipate filing your next one shortly, you may simply put your new postal address directly on the tax return form rather than needing 8822 Form. If you do not want to use Form 8822, you may write a letter to the Internal Revenue Service in which you provide the same information as required by Form 8822.
It is possible that failing to update your postal address with the IRS can result in serious penalties if time-sensitive items are delivered to your last known address.
According to the law, whatever the IRS sends to your last known address is assumed to have been received by you.
For example, if you get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service requesting that you pay extra tax but fail to change your postal address after you relocate, the IRS is under no obligation to extend the further time to answer the letter.