VA Form 26-8937 Printable, Fillable in PDF – VA Form 26-8937 assists in establishing veteran disability compensation or a pension that is not service-connected. Additionally, it may assist in determining if the veteran has been classified as incompetent by the VA. Lenders will need VA loan applicants to complete VA Form 26-8937 prior to loan underwriting.
This is because the majority of veteran borrowers who fulfill the requirements for being a disabled veteran, a surviving spouse, or someone who is mentally incapacitated do not have to pay the VA financing fee. Individuals who are not subject to the financing charge save between 1% and 5%, depending on the type of VA loan and the borrower’s military status. If it is found after a loan is closed that a borrower is exempt, the VA financing charge will be refunded.
What Is Form 26-8937 From The Veterans Administration?
VA Form 26-8937 , Verification of VA Benefits, is used to demonstrate that a veteran is receiving disability compensation or a non-service-related pension. Additionally, it shows if the veteran has been deemed incompetent by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Lenders must require VA loan applicants to complete the VA Form 26-8937 Form prior to loan underwriting—the process through which a lender determines whether a veteran’s loan application presents an acceptable risk.
The form must be completed only if the veteran/applicant meets the following criteria:
- is a recipient of VA disability benefits; is
- has received disability compensation from the VA;
- would be eligible for VA disability benefits, but only if he or she was receiving a retirement salary.
- is a veteran’s surviving spouse who is receiving DIC (Dependency and Indemnity Compensation) payments;
- Prior to being discharged from active duty, I made a claim for VA disability compensation.
The most recent version of the form was issued on November 1, 2019, rendering all earlier forms outdated. The form is available for download below in its most recent edition. VA Form 26-8937 may be filed online and submitted through the VA website.
Is VA Form 26-8937 Required Any Longer?
The lender follows a precise method to validate the veteran’s exemption from the VA loan financing charge. This method was revised and simplified for many veterans in September 2011 when the VA decided to include information about VA loan financing fee exempt status on the Certificate of Eligibility. Because the status of the financing charge is shown on the COE, lenders will typically no longer need the VA Form 26-8937 .
Instructions For VA Form 26-8937
The majority of the fields on the form are self-explanatory. However, question 7 of VA Form 26-8937 requires further interpretation. It relates to debts incurred as a result of VA benefits. Veterans must declare whether they have it or not, to the best of their knowledge, and that they permit VA to provide the information indicated above. The applicant is required to report benefit-related debt if:
- Overpayments of VA education, compensation, or pension benefits have occurred;
- A VA loss occurred as a consequence of the payment of a claim on a previous guaranteed home loan;
- defaulted on a VA education loan or a direct VA housing loan
- Any repayment schedules for VA obligations are postponed.
How Do I Complete The VA Form 26-8937?
The veteran/applicant must complete half of the VA Form 26-8937 (Items 1–10), while the other half is for VA use only. The veteran/applicant must complete the following:
- The lender’s name and address (full postal address, including ZIP Code);
- The veteran’s full name is
- The veteran’s present address;
- The birth date
- The number of the VA claim folder (if known);
- The SS number is
- If different from the social security number, the service identification number;
- The veteran’s autograph
- signed on the exact date.
- Attest to their awareness that they have or do not have a VA benefit-related obligation;
- Authorize VA to provide the information in the preceding paragraphs;
- They must certify whether or not they made an application for VA disability benefits prior to being discharged from active military service.
The completed form must be submitted to the lender after being processed by the VA Regional Loan Center.
The VA is required to fulfill the following tasks:
- Debts incurred as a result of VA benefits: the type and amount of the debt(s);
- The repayment plan’s duration (if any);
- the authorized agent’s signature;
- signed on the exact date.
The VA Must Respond To Numerous Inquiries
- If the veteran is owing money to the VA for benefits or not,
- If the veteran is not required to pay the financing fee because he or she receives service-connected disability payments,
- If the veteran is exempt from the financing fee as a result of his or her eligibility for VA compensation payments upon separation from duty,
- If the veteran is not exempt from the financing charge because he or she receives an unrelated pension,
- If the veteran has been determined to be mentally incompetent by the VA,
- If it is difficult to identify the veteran using the information provided,